What’s in a Computer Name?
Names are important after all, people have them for the rest of their lives. They may get a nickname or even change names but the name someone is born with shapes who they are and makes them identifiable from their peers. A strong, unique, or legacy name can be looked at as a thing of pride. Some names like Brandy, Eileen, Bobby McGee, Caroline, Jude, Jack & Diane, are even synonymous with a tune. Point being, names are kind of a big deal. Names for computers are kind of a big deal as well and in this article we will explain why and help you identify the name of your computers.
Why is a Computer Name Important?
Being able to quickly identify a computer name you are having an issue with allows your IT Partner to remote into the correct computer and assist. If you can’t identify the name of the computer you are having an issue with you are bound to lose precious time which means lost revenue in many cases. Computer Names are the internal labels that separate computers from each other on a network and assists in the troubleshooting of an issue.
How to Identify a Computer Name
If you are unsure of the computer name, there are several ways to find it:
1. Activate the Windows Search Feature: most have a search bar on the bottom left part of the task bar:
a. It may not say type here to search: may only have a magnifying glass icon.
2. Type in “About”
3. A screen will “pop up”:
4. Give the device a name or full device name to your Darkhorse Tech Technician (or IT provider)
An alternative way to find a computer name if you are missing the search feature
1. On your task bar you should have a yellow folder icon, by clicking this folder you will start “File Explorer”
2. Navigate on the left hand frame of the popup window and right click on “This PC” > navigate to “Properties”
3. This option will open the “about” screen: Follow the instructions above to collect the computer name
Any assistance you or your staff can provide Darkhorse Tech (or your IT partner) during the resolution of your issue helps us get your systems back up and running faster so that you can get back to focusing on your patients and your practice.
About Darkhorse Tech
Whether you’re just starting out or a well-established organization, Darkhorse Tech has the experience and technology to help get you moving, cut costs, and streamline your operations via unlimited IT support. We are here to help you do what you do best: focus on providing top-notch care and service for patients – not dealing with IT problems, lag time spent talking with technical support, or complicated technological mishaps. Unlimited IT support services help the whole team work efficiently without worrying about significant system issues or constant interruptions.
Our additional security services include:
- Unlimited Remote and/or On-Site IT Support of All Your Hardware and Software
- Improved Network Performance and Security
- HIPAA Compliant Off-Site and Local Backup Service (Darkhorse Secure Backup)
- Managed Antivirus, Anti-Malware, and Anti-Ransomware (Darkhorse Security Products)
- Compliance & Security Laws Standards
- Microsoft Security Patch Management
- Vendor Management: We will be on the phone, not your employees
- Secure, Remote Access to Your Office
- Firewall Management
- Network Management
- Long Term Planning and Budgeting
Contact us anytime if you want to learn more about our dental-specific solutions and unlimited support packages. Our friendly customer service team will get back to you in no time.
Let’s get started. Call us today at 800.868.4504